From: Andrew Mutch [mailto:amutch@waterford.lib.mi.us]
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 12:17 PM
To: Kristen A. Gibbs
Cc: Smart Growth Washtenaw
Subject: Re: SG-W:/ Preserving Land

Kristen,

I know that you'll hear from Barry Lonik at WPLT and Jack Smiley at SEMLC.
Both organizations are online and discuss some of the options for
landowners:

Washtenaw - Potawatomi Land Trust
http://www.wplt.org/

Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy
http://www.bendor.org/smlc.html

Both organizations are doing an outstanding job of preserving farmland and
open spaces around Ann Arbor.  What I like about both organizations is that
they are working to preserve agricultural lands for agricultural uses, not
just for open space(although I like open space too!).  If the primary
interest
of your friend is in preserving the farmland, I think both organizations can
make that happen more quickly than the purchase of development rights
through
the state.  My understanding is that the state program is woefully
underfunded
and their is an incredible demand across the state on the PDR program.
Still,
explore all possible options.  I hope to hear of another preservation
victory
in the near future!

Andrew Mutch
Novi