SG-W:/ Land Use Conference

Save the date!!

The Ecology Center Land Use Conference: How Should Washtenaw Grow? will be held on Saturday, October 20, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Washington Street Education Center, 500 E. Washington, Chelsea. Registration begins at 8:30.

Prof. Joan Nassauer from the School of Natural Resources will give a keynote address on landscape ecology (ways to reduce the impact of development on the watershed through reduced use of grass and impervious surface). She has done a citizen preference survey in Washtenaw County and will share the results. This will be followed by a panel discussion on the future of agriculture in Washtenaw County. After networking at lunch, we will have workshops on individual issues, such as wetlands ordinances (Laura Rubin from Huron River Watershed Council), stormwater management (Drain Commissioner Janis Bobrin), and farmland preservation.

To cover the costs of the conference we are asking for a $15 registration donation, which will include lunch. (Scholarships are available for those unable to pay.)

To register or to volunteer to help with the conference, please contact:

Liz Brater
Land Use Director
Ecology Center
117 N. Division