SG-W:/ July 17 Sierra Club Meeting & Tour: "What's Wrong With Our Trees?"

Friends,

What would summer in Michigan be like without the lush foliage of trees?  At
this month's Sierra Club meeting on Tuesday, July 17, Annie Hannan will lead
us on a guided tour of the Matthei Botanical Gardens grounds that will
spotlight the impact of insect damage, exotic diseases, pollution, and
non-native invasive plants on oaks, maples, pines, and other native tree
species.  Her program is titled "What's Wrong With Our Trees?:  A
Naturalist-guided Walk in the Woods."

The tour begins at 7:30 pm and is preceded by a potluck supper that begins
at 6:30.  Both events are free and open to the public; if you come to the
potluck, please bring a dish to share along with a cup, plate, and eating
utensils for yourself.

The potluck, tour, and subsequent social hour are a terrific opportunity to
meet others who share your interests in exploring, enjoying, and protecting
nature during our social hour.  You can also learn about local Sierra Club
activities ranging from hikes, canoe trips, bike tours, and service projects
to conservation campaigns. And for those of you who want to help stop sprawl
during your shopping trips, we'll have EarthCash shopping vouchers available
(so don't forget to bring your checkbook!).

Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group General Meetings are held on the third
Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens, located at
1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23),
beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.  Newcomers
are welcome; no membership is required.

We hope to see you at Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward this
message to others who might be interested.

- Mike Sklar

Sierra Club events information: 734-480-7751 or
www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro