SG-W:/ Last call to email on Pickerel Lake

Friends,

Pickerel Lake is one of the few public lakes in Washtenaw County that is
still a relatively undisturbed natural area.  This tranquil 23 acre
lake is a great place for swimming, canoeing, picknicing - and for
sandhill cranes, great blue herons, and wood ducks.

The DNR wants to "improve" it so that powerboats and jetskis have yet
another playground.  On a tiny lake like this, it won't take too many
of these pollution-spewing vehicles before Pickerel is just another of
the dozens of lakes that have been made unsuitable for nature or quiet
recreation.

Over 200 people came out to a public meeting a few weeks ago to oppose
this plan, but there is no sign that the DNR is bending yet.  Sending an
amail during the comment period (ending Tuesday 8/28) may be the last
chance to show that a broad cross section of residents want to preserve a
few places where nature is the highest priority.  For your voice to be
heard, all it takes is a couple of minutes to email a few lines to the
people who hold Pickerel Lake's future in their hands.  Simple
instructions on how to comment by email are below.

Thanks,

Doug Cowherd
Co-chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group