Re: SG-W:/ Pittsfield land use in headlines again

Hi everyone! Rober98 has chosen an interesting pair of articles recently to share with the group - ones that are fed by our political opponents in Pittsfield. Could you please just let me know your name, Rober 98? It doesn't show on my e mail.

Without offending my friend Peri, I would like to point out that this article had some misperceptions. Craig Welch, the Centennial developer's spokesperson, is wrong by several hundred thousand dollars in his estimate of the road cost. He also seems to imply that the developer may choose not to fulfill the obligations of the approved site plan by failing to build the road to the southern border. This is incorrect.

Also incorrect is the statement that the Schools are opposed to the roads. The Schools do agree the roads are needed, all of them, and are building them now. The one road in question was planned as part of a nearly 400 home conjoined subdivision stretching from Michigan Ave. to Textile Road. This is not a new road. What happened was that the Schools bought an unbuilt section of this large conjoined sub, with its approved site plan, and the residents are justifiably concerned about the planned and approved roads connecting to a different use.

 However, our Board made the difficult decision not to alter the approved site plan for the sub to the north, Centennial Farms, though the residents wanted the road to the south eliminated. The Board felt that on balance it was far too dangerous to allow 218 homes to be built with only two routes of ingress and egress, both onto Textile Road. The high density was allowed in this sub based on connectivity to the south; to eliminate the connectivity to the south would seem to require a complimentary reduction in the density of the development, and a different site plan and Planning Commission review, which the developer has not as yet proposed.

 The Board followed the advice of our planners, supported by the school's traffic study, and we support the Road Commission's decision that the road to the south from Centennial Farms/Park must be built for the safety of the subdivision. While only a few houses have been built now, the traffic impact at build out for this very large sub will strain the outlets on Textile; I can only imagine the chaos, not to mention danger, if Textile was closed for any reason. It also seemed dangerous to require busses and people driving to the school to go out onto Textile, turn onto State, and turn again into the School, a long trip to a school a short distance away. It just seemed on balance too dangerous not to build the roads as planned. The concern about traffic from the school pales beside the danger of building 218 homes with only two outlets on Textile.

I'm not sure this is a major smartgrowth issue that is really relevant to the listserv. It's a sad situation that the developer and a former planning commissioner are actively exploiting for political purposes.  Christina Lirones