Re: SG-W:/ Pittsfield land use in headlines again

Christina,

If it is any consolation, I think that these road connection issues are
some of the hardest planning issues to deal with and ones most boards
handle poorly. From everything that I've read, your board made the right
decision.  Because these road connections typically only appear to
affect the people in the existing subs, most boards act as if it doesn't
matter if the roads are closed and they do so because that's what the
residents ask for. They never seem to take into consideration the
potential for safety and traffic problems.  Also, you made an excellent
point about the problem that would be created by forcing bus traffic to
go in a circuitous route.  We are facing this issue in Novi too and I'm
hopefully that we maintain the traffic connections to local schools to
avoid that kind of situation.

This is no idle issue.  There is a large mobile home park in Novi that
only has 2 entrances onto a mile road.  These entrances are only a short
distance apart.  A number of years ago, the park was struck by a
tornado, killing one person and injuring others.  The emergency response
was delayed, even though a fire station is less than a mile away,
because of downed power lines and trees that blocked access to the
park.  While the delay didn't directly affect the casualty list, it very
well could have led to a tragic situation.  On the flip side, in one
instance where we did require a connection between an existing sub and a
new senior citizen housing complex, we have yet to see evidence of the
cut-through traffic and back-ups that residents feared.  As this is my
neighborhood, I know that the residents were upset with the decision at
that time.  But, as time has gone on, none of them have raised the issue
as a problem, probably because no problem exist.  Trust me, they would
tell me if there was one!

Newspapers are not know for getting the story right so don't sweat the
press!

Andrew Mutch
Novi