From: julie tiplady <jswalden@umich.edu>
To: Kermit Schlansker <kssustain@provide.net>
Date: Thursday, September 20, 2001 6:13 AM
Subject: [Fwd: NRDC Earth Action update in the wake of tragedy]

>This should make you smile.
>Jerry
>September 19, 2001

Dear NRDC Earth Activist,

Our hearts go out to those of you in our extended family of 600,000
Members and online activists who have suffered the loss of loved ones
or colleagues in the terrible events of September 11th.

As you may know, NRDC is headquartered in New York City, with one of
our field offices in Washington, D.C. Thankfully, our staff and
immediate families are all safe and accounted for. But we have friends
who are missing, and we share in the grief that has stricken all
Americans in the aftermath of this tragedy.

I wanted to share a few thoughts with you about the work that lies
ahead for NRDC. With your ongoing help, we are determined to put our
unique expertise to work for the common good in this time of crisis.

As Americans, we must now join together in shaping a strong response
to terrorism. For NRDC that means advocating policies that will
immediately begin reducing our nation's dependence on oil, whether
imported or domestic. That is the single most important thing that we,
as environmentalists, can do to ensure America's national security and
environmental security.

America's unchecked consumption of oil has become a national Achilles
heel. It constrains our military options in the face of terror. It
leaves our economy dangerously vulnerable to price shocks. It invites
environmental degradation, ecological disasters, and potentially
catastrophic climate change.

Don't be surprised in the days ahead to hear some in Washington call
for a massive increase in domestic oil drilling in order to achieve
national security. They ignore one crucial fact: our nation simply
doesn't have enough oil reserves to drill our way to self-sufficiency
or to affect oil prices, which are set on the world market. We control
only 3 percent of the world's oil reserves -- a mere drop in the
bucket -- but we consume a staggering 25 percent of the world's oil
supply.

Even if we developed every potential oil deposit in America --
including the Arctic Wildlife Refuge -- we'd still be importing oil,
still be paying worldwide prices for domestic oil, and still be
leaving ourselves vulnerable to supply disruptions.

Is there an alternative? Yes. We can reduce our out-of-control
appetite for fossil fuels. We can rely on smarter and cleaner ways to
power our economy. For 30 years, NRDC has been proving that energy
efficiency and alternative energy technologies can save billions of
barrels of oil, while benefiting our health, our pocketbooks and our
environment.

I want you to know that, in the months to come, NRDC will be a leading
advocate for an energy future that reduces this dangerous addiction to
oil and increases our reliance on cleaner alternatives spawned by
American ingenuity. That is our very best hope -- our only hope --
for getting us on a self-reliant energy path toward lasting national
and environmental security.

In the meantime, I hope you are able to take extra time with those you
love, and to begin the healing we all so urgently need.

Sincerely,

John H. Adams
President
NRDC

==========
About NRDC
==========

The Natural Resources Defense Council is a nonprofit environmental
organization with over 500,000 members nationwide and a staff of
scientists, attorneys and environmental experts. Our mission is to
protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and ensure a safe and
healthy environment for all living things.

For more information about NRDC or how to become a member of NRDC,
please contact us at:

Natural Resources Defense Council
40 West 20th Street
New York, NY 10011
212-727-4511 (voice) / 212-727-1773 (fax)
General email: nrdcinfo@nrdc.org
Earth Action email: nrdcaction@nrdc.org
http://www.nrdc.org

If you would like to change your subs