SG-W:/ Maize & Blue Goes Green: October 16 Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group program

Friends,

The University of Michigan has been known more for its academic and athletic
excellence than for its commitment to sustainable environmental practices.
Is this reputation about to change?  At this month's Sierra Club/Huron
Valley Group General Meeting, leaders of the Sustainable U-M initiative will
share their insights into making the University a paragon of environmental
leadership.

Please join us on Tuesday, October 16  to hear Karl Steyaert and Jason
Smerdon present "Maize & Blue Turns Green:  The Sustainable U-M Initiative.
The program begins at 7:30 and takes place at the Matthei Botanical Gardens,
located at 1800 Dixboro Road between Plymouth and Geddes.

We also invite you to stay for our social hour immediately following the
presentation, when the drinks (well, the tea and coffee at least) and
cookies are on us and you can meet others who share your interests in
exploring, enjoying, and protecting nature.  You can also learn about local
Sierra Club activities including hikes through the best natural spots, canoe
trips, bike tours, service projects, the book club, and a variety of
conservation campaigns.  It's not too early to start buying holiday gifts,
so we'll have those eye-catching Sierra Club calendars
and appointment books for sale as well as gift cards for Borders Books &
Music.  And if you want to help stop sprawl (at no cost to you) while buying
groceries and other merchandise at the stores where you already shop, we'll
have EarthCash shopping vouchers available -- so don't forget your
checkbook.

Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group General Meetings are held on the third
Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens, located at
1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23),
beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.  Newcomers
are welcome; no membership is required.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward this
message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro