Re: SG-W:/ AATA bus routes

Just so everyone knows - no transit system in the county is self-supporting.
That said, Kristen is right - A2 residents pay a millage to support AATA &
other municipalities must also pay for services plus AATA applies and gets fed
& other funds.

"Kristen A. Gibbs" wrote:

> I'm afraid that there is a lot of 'I don't know' in here.
>
> My understanding is that Ann Arbor has a millage for the purpose of paying
> for part of AATA. If the surrounding townships want service, they need to
> pony up part of the cost. I don't know how much Chelsea or Dexter chip in
> for service, but I assume that they must pay something. AATA does receive
> state and fed funding, but I don't know how much or with what obligations.
> Funding is one of those funny things. For all I know, Meijer's may have
> already paid AATA to make a stop at their Pittsfield store. Does anyone
> else know more about this?
>
> Again, my focus in planning is not transportation planning, so there is
> some element of 'I don't know' in here, too. For example, bus routes are
> not just determined by ridership but also by the density of people; i.e.
> the goal is to get the bus full while going the least amount of distance.
> A bus that has to go a long ways to get half full just doesn't make
> economic sense. So while Pittsfield may have a larger population in total,
> they are much more spread out.
>
> Let's see... density stats we know:
>
> City of A2 - 114,024 people in 17,252 acres for a density of 6.6
> people/acre
> Dexter - 2,338 in 976 acres = 2.4 people/acre
> Chelsea - 4,398 in 1,533 acres = 2.8
> Saline - 8,040 in 2,659 acres = 3.0
>
> Pittsfield Twshp - 30,167 people in 17,982 acres = 1.68
> Dexter Twshp - 5,248 in 21,218 acres = .25
>
> >From this we can see a couple of things: 1) it would seem surprising that
> AATA didn't connect to Saline before now, as the density seems to warrant
> to more than Dexter or Chelsea... which tells me that density isn't all
> they look at; and (2) that Pittsfield would make a better candidate for
> transit than Dexter twshp, but maybe it isn't enough for AATA. Of course,
> the stats above are misleading, at least for the townships, because it
> doesn't take into account large housing developments or concentrations of
> density, and the concentrations are probably more important. At least the
> above are some sort of numbers to apply to the problem.
>
> -kg

begin:vcard
n:Head, PhD, DABT;Rebecca A
tel;fax:734.994.2459
tel;work:734.994.6361
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.co.washtenaw.mi.us/DEPTS/EIS.HTM
org:Washtenaw County;Dept of Infrastructure & Environmental Services/DEIS
adr:;;PO Box 8645;Ann Arbor;MI;48107-8645;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:headr@co.washtenaw.mi.us
title:Director
note;quoted-printable:VISION:=0D=0AThe Department of Environment and Infrastructure=0D=0AServices, as the primary provider of environmental and=0D=0Aenvironmental health protective services to Washtenaw=0D=0ACounty, will become a recognized leader in sustainable=0D=0Apractices, resulting in positive social, environmental and=0D=0Aeconomic impact on communities and the natural world.
fn:Rebecca A Head, PhD, DABT
end:vcard