Re: SG-W:/ apologies...

I agree with all the points Doug made about the need to subsidize mass
transit and its benefits.  My own tax payment to AATA this year was
$242.99 (that is 2.127 mills).  That makes my cost per bus ride per year
approximately $242.  (I really should use it more.)  But still, I'm glad
to pay it.

It is my impression also that Ann Arbor is the only community to pay
property tax to support this service.  There has been some vague talk
about a county-wide transportation millage sometime in the future.  I
would be willing to pay that too, even though I already have bus
service.

Township residents who yearn for better service should get busy and ask
their township governments to use general funds to pay for expanded
service, or even a millage vote for this.  AATA would surely be willing
to rise to the challenge.  Check out their strategic plan - see
http://www.theride.org/home.html
where they discuss "Destination 2010".  This envisions AATA serving the
entire county.  I haven't downloaded the entire text yet, but I assume
that they have some hopes for additional tax support to pay for that.

Meanwhile, it still is true that you get the government services you pay
for.  There is no free lunch.

Vivienne Armentrout