SG-W:/ Tuesday, Nov. 20: Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group presents Rep. Lynn Rivers

Friends,

The fight against terrorism has captured our attention as few things
ever will.  However, you've probably heard rumors of how some elected
officials are taking advantage of world events to justify Congressional
actions that would devastate our environment for decades to come.
Drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is just the tip of the
iceberg.

At the Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group meeting on Tuesday, November 20,
you can hear the inside story from our very own U.S. Representative Lynn
Rivers.  She'll speak on "The Politics of Environmental Protection in
the Current Congress."  This event is a unique opportunity to learn
about recent and upcoming Congressional actions that could affect the
environment.  Rep. Rivers is a terrific speaker who is personally
knowledgeable about and committed to protecting our environment.

We invite you to join us on Tuesday, November 20 to meet your
Representative in Washington and hear her views on a wide range of
environmental issues.  The program begins at 7:30 PM and takes place at the
Matthei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 Dixboro Road between Plymouth
and Geddes.

We also invite you to stay for our social hour immediately following the
presentation, when you can meet others who share your interests in
exploring, enjoying, and protecting nature.  Light refreshments will be
served, and you can also learn about local Sierra Club activities
including hikes, ski trips, service projects, and a variety of conservation
campaigns.  And with the holiday season upon us, it's also a perfect time to
buy
those eye-catching Sierra Club calendars and appointment books and
oh-so-convenient gift cards for Borders Books & Music.  If you want to help
stop
sprawl (at no cost to you!) while buying groceries and other merchandise at
the stores
where you already shop, we'll have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for
sale
by cash or check.

Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group General Meetings are held on the third
Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens,
located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east
of  US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the
public.  Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward
this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro