>> Newmarket suit talks open to public
Pittsfield opening normally closed-door session due to high level of resident
concern.
Saturday, December 15, 2001

By JOHN MULCAHY
NEWS STAFF REPORTER

The public will have a rare opportunity next week to see settlement proposals
in the Newmarket development lawsuit before negotiations are complete.
Pittsfield Township's negotiating committee plans to air offers from both
sides Tuesday during a public session of the Board of Trustees.

Newmarket is a proposed mixed residential and commercial development for 530
acres in the central part of the township. The development, which would
include 1,143 houses, townhouses and apartments interspersed with commercial
uses, was intended to re-create the atmosphere of a small town. The
developers, Real Estate Interest Group of Bloomfield Hills, sued the township
earlier this year to stop a referendum on the project after the township had
already granted a rezoning.

The offers include one by the township to buy the entire property for $8.5
million and a counter-offer by the land owners and developer to sell most of
it for $10.4 million but still build 250 homes on a portion of the property.
The owners and developers also offered to come back to the township with a
more conventional housing development of 864 homes.

Township Clerk Christina Lirones said the township is taking the unusual step
of making the negotiation offers public because of the high level of interest
among township residents.

"Since we were bringing it to the board anyway, I really wanted to do it in
public session," Lirones said. The developer and land owners agreed to the
public presentation.

Public bodies are allowed to discuss pending litigation in closed session,
and most such discussions take place behind closed doors. A final vote on any
settlement must be taken in public.

The township's negotiating committee, consisting of Lirones, Supervisor James
Walter and Treasurer Robert Skrobola, will present the offers but do not
expect to comment on them, Lirones said.

"This way we can at least show the proposals, but we're not going to indicate
which way we're going," she said.

Jerold Lax, attorney for the developer and land owners, said they do not
object to making the proposals public and could not legally stop the board
from doing so.

"We had no particular reason to interpose an objection," Lax said. He said he
anticipated detailed discussion of the offers to remain private.

The meeting will take place at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Township Hall, 6201
W. Michigan Ave.

John Mulcahy can be reached by e-mail at jmulcahy@annarbornews.com or by
calling (734) 482-2829. <<

http://aa.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20011215a820a6newmarket15.frm