List Moderator

----- Original Message -----
From: Christina Lirones
To: Rober98@aol.com ; smartgrowth-washtenaw@great-lakes.net
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: SG-W:/ Pittsfield open meeting on Newmarket settlement
proposals

P_lease come to the meeting to find out more - thanks for posting this,
ROBER98. Once again, I would like to know the identity of anyone posting
to this listserv. I'm sure my past requests for your identity just slipped
by - Please do post your name, so we can get to know you better! Thanks,
Christina Lirones, Pittsfield Township

> [...]
>property for $8.5 million and a counter-offer by the land owners and
>developer to sell most of it for $10.4 million but still build 250 homes
on a
>portion of the property. The owners and developers also offered to come
back
>to the township with a more conventional housing development of 864
homes. <<

>Here's the full article:
>
> >> Newmarket suit talks open to public
>Pittsfield opening normally closed-door session due to high level of
resident
>concern.
>Saturday, December 15, 2001
>
>By JOHN MULCAHY
>NEWS STAFF REPORTER
>
>The public will have a rare opportunity next week to see settlement
proposals
>in the Newmarket development lawsuit before negotiations are complete.
>Pittsfield Township's negotiating committee plans to air offers from both
>sides Tuesday during a public session of the Board of Trustees.
>
>Newmarket is a proposed mixed residential and commercial development for
530
>acres in the central part of the township. The development, which would
>include 1,143 houses, townhouses and apartments interspersed with
commercial
>uses, was intended to re-create the atmosphere of a small town. The
>developers, Real Estate Interest Group of Bloomfield Hills, sued the
township
>earlier this year to stop a referendum on the project after the township
had
>already granted a rezoning.
>
>The offers include one by the township to buy the entire property for
$8.5
>million and a counter-offer by the land owners and developer to sell most
of
>it for $10.4 million but still build 250 homes on a portion of the
property.
>The owners and developers also offered to come back to the township with
>more conventional housing development of 864 homes.
>
>Township Clerk Christina Lirones said the township is taking the unusual
step
>of making the negotiation offers public because of the high level of
interest
>among township residents.
>
>"Since we were bringing it to the board anyway, I really wanted to do it
in
>public session," Lirones said. The developer and land owners agreed to
the
>public presentation.
>
>Public bodies are allowed to discuss pending litigation in closed
session,
>and most such discussions take place behind closed doors. A final vote on
any
>settlement must be taken in public.
>
>The township's negotiating committee, consisting of Lirones, Supervisor
James
>Walter and Treasurer Robert Skrobola, will present the offers but do not
>expect to comment on them, Lirones said.
>
>"This way we can at least show the proposals, but we're not going to
indicate
>which way we're going," she said.
>
>Jerold Lax, attorney for the developer and land owners, said they do not
>object to making the proposals public and could not legally stop the
board
>from doing so.
>
>"We had no particular reason to interpose an objection," Lax said. He
said he
>anticipated detailed discussion of the offers to remain private.
>
>The meeting will take place at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Township Hall,
6201
>W. Michigan Ave.
>
>John Mulcahy can be reached by e-mail at jmulcahy@annarbornews.com or by
>calling (734) 482-2829. <<
>
>http://aa.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20011215a820a6newmarket1
5.frm

>smartgrowth-washtenaw: Internet List and Forum for issues relating to
>sprawl, smart growth, and preservation of the quality of life in
Washtenaw