Re: SG-W:/ Ann Arbor Township moves ahead with open space zoning

As it turns out, your local township is now required to enact this
sort of ordinance.  Late last year, the Legislature passed a bill
which mandates that all Michigan townships enact an open space zoning
ordinance (which meets certain minimum standards) by the end of this
current year.  The ordinances give developers the option of
dedicating a given amount of open space as permanently preserved land
in exchange for greater density and clustered development.

There are more protective and less protective ways to write your
ordinance, and a township's particular circumstances might lead it to
include other provisions.  Ann Arbor Township began working on theirs
long before the state law was even introduced as a bill;  they've
also included highly protective requirements for open space
preservation.

The Washtenaw County Planning Department has a model ordinance which
townships can use as a starting point in drafting their own
ordinance.  It's in the process of being updated to be consistent
with the new state law, and the Planning Department expects it to be
ready in March.  You can obtain what they've got now, or get the
updated version then, by contacting planner Erin Perdu at
perdue@co.washtenaw.mi.us.

Mike

--
Mike Garfield