SG-W:/ The Sierra Club Presents: "Made in the Shade: Coffee & Conservation in Latin

Friends,

A rich, freshly brewed cup of coffee is one of life's simple pleasures.
Unfortunately, our taste for coffee has had a devastating effect on
wildlife as rainforests are cleared for coffee plantations.

But there's a new aroma in the world.  Coffee lovers are learning about
the environmental impacts of coffee production and forcing growers,
retailers, and coffee houses to shift to shade-grown coffee.  Not only
is such coffee more eco-friendly, it also tastes great.

You can learn about the impact eco-friendly coffee has on wildlife
habitat at the Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group's next public meeting on
Tuesday, February 19.  Tom Dietsch will present "Made in the Shade:
Coffee and Conservation in Latin America."  The program begins at 7:30
PM and takes place at the Matthei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800
Dixboro Road between Plymouth and Geddes.

We invite you to have a cup of shade-grown coffee during our social
hour, which also gives you a chance to meet others who share your
interests in exploring, enjoying, and protecting nature.  You can also
learn about local Sierra Club activities including hikes, ski trips,
service projects, and a variety of conservation campaigns.  If you want
to help stop sprawl (at no cost to you!) while buying groceries, books,
CDs, and other merchandise at the stores where you already shop, we'll
have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for sale by cash or check.

The Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group's monthly public meetings are held on
the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical
Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth
Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open
to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward
this message to others who might be interested.

Michael Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

HVG Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or*
www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro