SG-W:/ Re: [energyresources] Hydrogen from gasoline!!!

           I wish to ask a question about car fuel consumption. Here in the
states, the NOx limitations are severe enough that it is difficult to make
Diesel engines that will comply with them. In my opinion, higher compression
engines will improve gas mileage but may increase NOx per gallon.  I would
like to see a relaxation of these standards, at least for four passenger
cars like the Civic, Escort, Neon, or Cavalier  that get over 50 mpg at 60
mph on a flat highway. These cars presently probably get about 35 mpg under
those conditions. This would accelerate the production of more efficient
vehicles and would increase new engine experimentation. In my opinion the
rest of the world is going in this direction anyhow and the US should also.
Does anyone have an idea as to how the ratio of CO2 to NOx changes with
respect to their Greenhouse effects as the compression is increased? There
was an article in a Science magazine somewhere that said that third world
charcoal making was the principal Greenhouse factor. If so, this would make
car NOx less important. Furthermore, NOx is a fertiliser and may increase
carbon growth enough to compensate for its Greenhouse effect. I believe that
the car companies would jump on this and something good could happen. This
question is also important to engine driven cogeneration. If anyone could
add to or figure out how to support this idea, I would appreciate it. This
is a very important question. The environmentalists must start to realize
that fuel consumption is more important than pollution.

                                                         Kermit Schlansker