SG-W:/ Re: [energyresources] Hydrogen from gasoline!!!

>           I wish to ask a question about car fuel consumption. Here in
the

This seems like an odd place to ask it, but I'll answer what I can.

>states, the NOx limitations are severe enough that it is difficult to
make
>Diesel engines that will comply with them. In my opinion, higher
compression
>engines will improve gas mileage but may increase NOx per gallon.  I
would

Hybrids and fuel cells will increase gas mileage without such increases,
and CNG vehicles are even better at this point, emitting very low levels
of all pollutants.

>like to see a relaxation of these standards, at least for four
passenger
>cars like the Civic, Escort, Neon, or Cavalier  that get over 50 mpg at
60
>mph on a flat highway. These cars presently probably get about 35 mpg
under
>those conditions. This would accelerate the production of more
efficient
>vehicles and would increase new engine experimentation. In my opinion
the

Hybrids and fuel cells are the "engines" of choice at this point, and
they seem to be good choices if we're going to continue building cars
and trucks.

>rest of the world is going in this direction anyhow and the US should
also.

The US should build trains like the rest of the world and drive less
like them, too.

>Does anyone have an idea as to how the ratio of CO2 to NOx changes with

>respect to their Greenhouse effects as the compression is increased?
There

I don't, but I don't think it matters since we can reduce both at the
same time.

>was an article in a Science magazine somewhere that said that third
world
>charcoal making was the principal Greenhouse factor. If so, this would
make
>car NOx less important. Furthermore, NOx is a fertiliser and may
increase
>carbon growth enough to compensate for its Greenhouse effect. I believe
that

I hadn't heard about charcoal production being such a big problem, but
it's not really in the same category as fossil fuel consumption.

We emit so much that every bit is important, even more so if developing
countries are contributing in their own way.

I think carbon growth would only increase in areas where nitrogen is a
limiting factor, which I don't believe is the case in most areas. I'd
check into that before basing any decisions on that possibility.

>the car companies would jump on this and something good could happen.
This
>question is also important to engine driven cogeneration. If anyone
could
>add to or figure out how to support this idea, I would appreciate it.
This
>is a very important question. The environmentalists must start to
realize
>that fuel consumption is more important than pollution.

Yes, I agree, but pollution is important, too, and we can tackle both at
the same time with existing technologies.

>                                                         Kermit
Schlansker

Steve