Re: SG-W:/ Gubernatorial Candidates to Meet in Conservation Forum

Lisa,

Was the Green Party candidate for governor not invited?

If not, excluding any candidates from any ballot-qualified parties
results in a limited forum for discussion and, in the case of events
that are broadcast, free campaign advertising (essentially a campaign
contribution) for the parties invited. Even this notice, by mentioning
only candidates from certain parties by name (as well as inferring that
they are "the" candidates for governor) could be considered not quite
"non-partisan".

Among the many ironies of this situation is that Ecological Wisdom is
one of the Four Pillars of the Green movement and one of the 10 Key
Values of the Green Party of Michigan.

Steve

>Gubernatorial Candidates to Meet in Conservation Forum
>
>Brighton, MI - In what may well be their first and only group
appearance
>after the filing deadline
>and before the Aug. 6 primary, the candidates for governor will meet
May
>21, 2002 for a forum on
>the Michigan environment - one of the top issues in this year's race.
>
>The forum will be held from 7:30-9:00 p.m. in the Performing Arts
Center
>of Brighton
> High School (the audience must be seated by 7:20 p.m.). It is open to
the
>public.
>The event is being sponsored by the non-partisan Michigan League of
>Conservation
>Voters (LCV) Education Fund, the Detroit Free Press, WFUM TV and
Michigan
>Radio.
>
>"Every candidate claims they are for protecting our environment and
>natural resources,"
>said Dana Debel, executive director of Michigan LCV Education Fund.
"They
>realize
>how deeply Michigan voters care about protecting our water, air and
>wildlife.  This forum
>will allow voters to hear specifics on these issues straight from the
>candidates' mouths and
> help voters make more informed decisions in both August and November."

>"The environment has always been an important issue for Michigan
voters,
>but has
>taken an even higher profile in recent months because of such issues as

>oil drilling
>under the Great Lakes, the dumping of Canadian trash in Michigan
>landfills, water
>diversion and sale, water quality and land use," said Ron Dzwonkowski,
>editor of
>the Free Press editorial page. "We think this forum will offer the
>candidates an excellent
>opportunity to address these issues, and give the public a chance to
>compare and
>contrast those views.''
>
>Democratic candidates U.S. Rep. David Bonior, Attorney General Jennifer

>Granholm
>and former governor James Blanchard have committed to participate, as
have
>Republicans
>Lt. Gov. Richard Posthumus, and state Sen. Joe Schwarz.
>
>Herman Miller and the environmental and regulatory practice group of
the
>law firm
> Miller, Canfield, Paddock & Stone, P.L.C. are underwriting Michigan
LCV
>Education Fund's participation in the event.
>
>The event will be taped for broadcast on WFUM TV at 8:00 p.m. on
Wednesday,
>May 22.
>
>Brighton High School is just west of downtown Brighton, at 7878
Brighton