SG-W:/ Sierra Club presents: "Big Cats! The Cougar Returns to Michigan"(fwd)

Friends,

It's been known by many names:  Cougar.  Mountain Lion.  Puma.  And for the last 96 years, it's been known as "Extinct in the State of Michigan."  But in the 1990s, repeated reports of cougar sightings triggered a study to determine if the cougar had, in fact, returned to the Great Lakes State.

We hope you can join us to hear about this ecological detective story.  The Sierra Club's Huron Valley Group, along with the Ecology Center and the Huron River Watershed Council, are pleased to bring Dennis Fijalkowski, Executive Director of the Michigan Wildlife Habitat Foundation, to the Sierra Club/HVG Monthly Meeting on Tuesday, June 18th, starting at 7:30 pm at the Matthei Botanical Gardens.

His presentation is titled "Big Cats!  The Cougar Returns to Michigan," and in it Dennis will provide a close-up look at this majestic predator, describe its fascinating history in Michigan, and review the evidence of the cougar's return to Michigan. The slide show will include beautiful images of the cougar in a variety of habitats as well as scenes from some of the Foundation's study areas.

The presentation will be followed by our social hour, which features light refreshments and gives you a chance to meet others who share your interests in exploring, enjoying, and protecting nature.  You can also learn about local Sierra Club, Ecology Center, and Huron River Watershed Council activities including hikes, service projects, and a variety of conservation campaigns.  If you want to help stop sprawl (at no cost to you!) while buying groceries, books, CDs, and other merchandise at the stores where you already shop, we'll have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for sale by cash or check.

The Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group's monthly public meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Michael Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

HVG Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro