Re: SG-W:/ Protecting drinking water supply

Title: Re: SG-W:/ Protecting drinking water supply
At 3:44 PM -0400 7/2/2002, Steve Bean wrote:
I just returned from vacation out West where I noticed on a map that
Boulder, Colorado apparently owns a chunk of land in the mountains that
is drinking water supply watershed. Now I see that Boston has done
something similar (see article below).

Is anyone familiar with this concept? Can anyone comment on its
applicability to Ann Arbor, for example, given that we get most of our
drinking water from the Huron River? I know that providing a steady
water supply is often cited as one of many reasons for protecting
natural areas, but has it ever been the primary purpose in this area?

  Steve,

    I have dreamed of doing this for years. I have never gotten beyond the yearning stage.

   The watershed of the Huron is where we get our water, and it is being built up rapidly. Now there are technical fixes - more chlorine, more filtering - which will keep the water safe no matter what, but there seems to be an infinite number of reasons why it would be better to keep the water in the River pure to begin with. A lot of development along the River will not help.

   If you have any ideas about how to begin, I would be very interested.

- Bob

PS. Incidentally, my old home town, New York City, has water so pure - from the Catskill Mountains - that they do not need to chlorinate it. NYC is also buying as much of the land around their reservoirs as they can.