Re: SG-W:/ Protecting drinking water supply

Catherine:

Here in the beautiful short hills of Sharon Township (the center of Western
Washtenaw County's glacial power!!),  we have been facing a potential
development for over three years, that would dispense 200-800K gals of
"treated" waste water into the Mill Creek.  The Mill Creek as you already
know, is a major contributor to HRVWatershed.  Might you have any
strong/convincing/irrefutable data to support a pro-active stance against
poorly placed developments that would directly impact the quality of Ann
Arbor's water?

BTW, the 200-800K gals of water would come from deep wells not a municipal
supply.... a threat to the water supply of surrounding homes to say the
least.

I've tried all the usual suspects, to no avail...  JMO, but it seems many
of our ultra concerned conservationists would rather wait until devastation
occurs prior to taking up the good fight to prevent further decimation of
our resources in the first place.

Any information would greatly be appreciated.

Ps:  to all that might be considering drafting a protective water recharge
ordinance for Ann Arbor's water - keep it simple and, you must include the
entire county.  To do anything less will be lost energy.  I already have
much data to aid the cause, so please contact me directly if/when offline
coordination takes place.

Bob Guysky
wk  734/475-5646
pgr 313/601-0909
Email RG58@DCX.com

|---------+------------------------------------------->
|         |           Catherine Riseng                |
|         |           <criseng@umich.edu>             |
|         |           Sent by:                        |
|         |           owner-smartgrowth-washtenaw@grea|
|         |           t-lakes.net                     |
|         |                                           |
|         |                                           |
|         |           07/05/2002 12:16 PM             |
|         |                                           |
|---------+------------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                               |
  |       To:       "Robert M. Johnson" <rmjohns@med.wayne.edu>                                   |
  |       cc:       Steve Bean <sbean@berginc.com>, Smartgrowth Washtenaw                         |
  |        <smartgrowth-washtenaw@great-lakes.net>                                                |
  |       Subject:  Re: SG-W:/ Protecting drinking water supply                                   |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I know that the sensitive ground water recharge areas in Washtenaw County
have been identified.  I worked on an EIS for the expansion of US-12 about
12 years ago.  In that document, I identified important recharge areas in
Pittsfield Twp. that could have been impacted by a road expansion.  The
glacial deposits contribute to recharge and an old glacial river channel
conveys large quantities of groundwater in that general area.  That area
may be developed by now, I am not sure.  It seems that we would have to
work at a county or watershed level to protect these recharge areas.
Catherine

"Robert M. Johnson" wrote:
      At 3:44 PM -0400 7/2/2002, Steve Bean wrote:
            I just returned from vacation out West where I noticed on a map
            that
            Boulder, Colorado apparently owns a chunk of land in the
            mountains that
            is drinking water supply watershed. Now I see that Boston has
            done
            something similar (see article below).

            Is anyone familiar with this concept? Can anyone comment on its

            applicability to Ann Arbor, for example, given that we get most
            of our
            drinking water from the Huron River? I know that providing a
            steady
            water supply is often cited as one of many reasons for
            protecting
            natural areas, but has it ever been the primary purpose in this
            area?

        Steve,

          I have dreamed of doing this for years. I have never gotten
      beyond the yearning stage.

         The watershed of the Huron is where we get our water, and it is
      being built up rapidly. Now there are technical fixes - more
      chlorine, more filtering - which will keep the water safe no matter
      what, but there seems to be an infinite number of reasons why it
      would be better to keep the water in the River pure to begin with. A
      lot of development along the River will not help.

         If you have any ideas about how to begin, I would be very
      interested.

      - Bob   PS. Incidentally, my old home town, New York City, has water
      so pure - from the Catskill Mountains - that they do not need to
      chlorinate it. NYC is also buying as much of the land around their
      reservoirs as they can.(See attached file: criseng.vcf)

criseng.vcf