SG-W:/ CARP/carp

Some perspective on carp as a (perhaps deservedly) underappreciated fish.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/26/national/26CARP.html  (requires
registration)

Excerpts:

>> These carp lack any touches of style, like a swordfish's elegant fins or a
sturgeon's scoopy nose. The grass carp "is like an aquatic cow," said Jack
Killgore, a fisheries biologist at the Army Corps of Engineers' Waterways
Experiment Station, a research center in Vicksburg. "It just grazes."  <<

>> As big, gluttonous vacuum cleaners, carp compete with native fish for food
and spawning ground. "At some point, we're going to run into a major crisis,"
said Ronald Benjamin, a fisheries biologist in the LaCrosse office of the
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. <<