SG-W:/ What the Heck is a Sierra Club? The Huron Valley Group's AnnualNewcomers' Meeting, Tuesday, 9/17

Friends,

This Tuesday, the Sierra Club's Huron Valley Group invites you to get to know the wide range of Sierra Club activities at the national, state, and local levels.  Our September meeting is titled "What the Heck Is a Sierra Club?" and it's designed to let you explore the incredible variety of Club activities, including our local activities that are 100% organized and led by volunteers.  These activities include:

  - Our Outings Program, which sponsors hikes through the best natural spots in the local area and throughout the state, canoe trips, bike tours, and service projects such as trail-building and park maintenance.

  - The Inner City Outings program, which gives underprivileged kids an opportunity to explore and enjoy nature.

  - A variety of conservation campaigns aimed at protecting wildlife, natural areas, open space, and the quality of our air and water.

  - Our Political Committee, which works to educate the public about the positions of political candidates on environmental issues.

The meeting begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthei Botanical Gardens, where you can meet others who share your interests in exploring, enjoying, and protecting nature.  Refreshments will be available, and if you want to help stop sprawl (at no cost to you) while buying groceries, books, CDs, and other merchandise at the stores where you already shop, we'll have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for sale by cash or check.

Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group General Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.  Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

We hope you can join us Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro