SG-W:/ Washtenaw Land Trust Names Filmmaker Chris Cook Preservationist of theYear

October 9, 2002
     ANN ARBOR - Ann Arbor-based documentary filmmaker Christopher M.
Cook, producer-director-writer of the Emmy-Award-winning "Sprawling of
America" PBS documentary, was named Washtenaw Land Trust's Preservationist
of the Year, at the nonprofit's annual fall dinner Wednesday night.  The
annual award is given to persons who substantially advance the cause of
land preservation, directly or indirectly.
     "Mr. Cook's film is a poignant and persuasive case for land
preservation - particularly farmland preservation," said William Hanson,
the land trust's executive director. "It's a wakeup call to each of us
that we have to be smarter about the land-use decisions we make."
     Cook, 57, winner of two Emmys for documentary programs, and a share
of a Pulitzer Prize for investigative journalism, is president of Metrocom
International Inc. of Ann Arbor. "I'm particularly touched to be honored
by the Washtenaw Land Trust," said Cook. "This film has been nominated and
won some prestigious awards in the world of television, but being singled
out by the people who are at the center of the land-preservation movement
is especially meaningful to me."
     The Washtenaw Land Trust is a nonprofit organization that works to
protect farmland and open space in and around Washtenaw County.