SG-W:/ Calling All Ann Arbor Park Lovers

Ann Arbor has a fantastic parks system.  Our parks are funded through
three separate voter-approved millages, one of which is up for
renewal on the November 5 ballot.  I'd like to ask your help in the
campaign to pass the parks renewal.

The ballot proposal is entitled "A Replacement Tax For Parks."  The
millage funding is unchanged from the level approved for the expiring
millage, costing the average Ann Arbor homeowner a little more than
$3 per month.  These funds pay for things like planting and
maintaining trees, landscaping, resurfacing playgrounds, repairing
electrical systems, and restoring natural areas.  Before putting the
millage on the ballot, the Ann Arbor City Council passed a resolution
which provides better accountability in managing the millage funds.
Council members specified that the millage funds can be spent only on
work done in City parks, they capped City overhead charges at 2%, and
they clearly defined the activities that can be paid for with these
funds so that millage money
can't be "raided" for other purposes.  The Ecology Center, Sierra
Club, and Parks Advisory Commission are all enthusiastically
endorsing the ballot proposal.

You can help publicize the ballot proposal by placing a yard sign in
your front yard.  If you'd like one, please pick one up at the
Ecology Center's office, at 117 N. Division, between Huron and Ann
Streets, in downtown Ann Arbor.  We have some on the front porch, so
you can pick one up at any time of day.  If you'd really like one,
but are unable to come here to get it, please email me, and we'll
make arrangements.

And please feel free to contact me for more information about the
parks proposal.

Mike
--
Mike Garfield