SG-W:/ Sierra Club Presents:"How to Save Our Rivers: Ecosystem Management on the Muskegon River" -Tuesday, 11/19

Friends,

Rivers and streams are among our most endangered ecosystems.  Water use, commerce, sprawl, agriculture, forestry, industrial discharges, dredging, dams, and the introduction of non-native species continue to put pressure on America's waterways.  Traditional approaches to managing our rivers have limited the damage but failed to stem the continued deterioration of water quality and wildlife habitat.

But there's hope on the horizon.  Over the past decade, the concept of 'ecosystem management' has gained favor.  Rather than managing water quality, land use, wildlife habitat, pollution, endangered species, non-native species, and other environmental concerns as separate problems, ecosystem management tries to manage all of these issues in a consistent, unified manner.  It may sound conceptually simple, but in fact it's complex and controversial in practice.

This Tuesday (Nov. 19), Professor Michael Wiley of the University of Michigan's School of Natural Resources and Environment discusses his pioneering experiences in implementing ecosystem management to help protect the Muskegon River.  Whether you're interested in learning more about ecosystem management, protecting local waterways such as the Huron, Raisin, and Rouge Rivers, or enjoying a pictorial tour of one of Michigan's most beautiful rivers, you should find this event to be of interest.

The meeting begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens and is followed by our social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interests in exploring, enjoying, and protecting nature.  If you want to help stop sprawl (at no cost to you) while buying groceries, books, CDs, and other merchandise at the stores where you already shop, we'll have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for sale by cash or check.  We'll also have Sierra Club 2003 calendars for sale.

Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group General Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.  Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

We hope you can join us Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group
Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro