SG-W:/ Tuesday,2/18: "Disappearing Dunes: Halting the Destruction of Lake Michigan'sMagnificent Sand Dunes"

Friends,

Michigan is blessed with the largest assemblage of freshwater sand dunes on the entire planet.  The dunes have formed over thousands of years and host many unique species of plants and animals.

Yet tragically, we have already lost many of our dunes to sand mining, and much of what remains is in jeopardy.  At this month's Sierra Club Monthly Meeting, Tanya Cabala of the Lake Michigan Federation will present "Disappearing Dunes:  Halting the Destruction of Lake Michigan's Magnificent Sand Dunes".  Her slide show is designed to help us learn more about this unique ecosystem and what should be done to save it.

The meeting begins on Tuesday, Feb. 18 at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens and is followed by our social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interests in enjoying and protecting nature.  If you want to help stop sprawl (at no cost to you) while buying groceries, books, CDs, and other merchandise at the stores where you already shop, we'll have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.

Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group General Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

We hope you can join us at Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro