SG-W:/ The Natural Backyard: Landscaping with Native Plants

Friends,

It's April, so springtime in Michigan should be right around the corner.  What better time to learn how we can use native plants to add beauty, as well as ecological value, to our yards?

At the Sierra Club's April Public Meeting, Esther Durnwald, the owner of Michigan Wildflower Farm, will discuss the benefits of utilizing native plant species in our landscapes, show examples of native wildflower and grass species, and tell us the ten steps to a successful wildflower planting.  Her presentation is titled "The Natural Backyard:  Landscaping with Native Plants."

The meeting begins on Tuesday, April 15 at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens and is followed by our social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interests in enjoying and protecting nature.  Want to help stop sprawl (at no cost to you) while buying groceries, books, CDs, and other stuff at the stores where you already shop?  We'll have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.

Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group General Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

I hope you can join us at Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro