SG-W:/ GREEN INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY

GREEN INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY

Once again, the Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy (SMLC) is seeking loans
to help finance the acquisition of a wonderful natural area.  If you might be
interested, please read on.

The Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy has obtained an Option-to-Buy 143
acres next to our 261-acre LeFurge Woods Nature Preserve in Superior
Township, Washtenaw County.  This purchase will make LeFurge Woods one of the
largest nature preserves in southeast Michigan.

It has taken four years of negotiations (and 16 written offers!) to finally
get a contract to buy this prime natural habitat.  Included in this property
is the heart of LeFurge Woods--the very land that was owned by Isaac LeFurge
in the 1800s, from whom the woods gets its name.

We have already lined up some major grant support (including a $225,000
contribution from Washtenaw County), but we still need to secure about
$200,000 in loans in order to close on this property.

With bank interest rates so low, and the stock market so uncertain, I am
hoping that enough individuals will step forward to provide the loans
necessary to acquire this property.  We are offering to pay between 3.0% and
6.0%.  This is quite favorable to bank rates, but your greatest return will
be knowing that you helped to protect a wonderful, biologically diverse,
natural area...for all time.

We are seeking loans in increments of $5,000 and $10,000.  The term of the
loans will be for a maximum of one year, however, we expect to pay off many
of the loans within approximately six months.  We will try to schedule
repayments so that those desiring a more prompt repayment will be repaid
first.  Also, if at any time someone would request to be repaid, I'm
confident that we could accommodate that request.  Of course, if a full one
year term is satisfactory that will give us more flexibility.

If you can help protect this remarkable property, please e-mail me at
Smileysmlc@aol.com to indicate your interest.  (You may also call me at
313-582-8377.)  I will provide you with a copy of our proposed loan
agreement, and I would be happy to answer any questions or to give you
further details about the proposed purchase.

I am looking to receive all checks by Monday, May 12, so that they may be
deposited May 13 in order to clear for our May 19 closing.  I realize that
this is a short time frame, but that is especially why we need some help at
this time.  Thank you for your consideration of this request.

Sincerely,
Jack R. Smiley
President, Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy

P.S.  We have successfully completed 5 land purchases using loans--
                  please help make this our sixth!