SG-W:/ "Preserving Urban Nature in U-M's Nichols Arboretum" on Tuesday, May 20

Friends,

The University of Michigan's Nichols Arboretum serves many purposes.  It's a place for recreation and relaxation, a linchpin of Ann Arbor's river corridor, and a conservatory for a wide range of plants.  It's also a world-class example of our ability to preserve and restore nature even in urban areas.

At the Sierra Club's May Public Meeting, Bob Grese, the Arboretum's Director and a School of Natural Resources professor, will show some of the recent changes at the Arb, discuss the challenges of preserving nature in the middle of a city, and talk about the future of the Arb.  His presentation is titled "Preserving Urban Nature in U-M's Nichols Arboretum."

The meeting begins on Tuesday, May 20 at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens and is followed by our social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interests in enjoying and protecting nature.  If you want to help protect local natural areas by stopping sprawl, we'll have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  EarthCash vouchers let you contribute to the Sierra Club when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items -- all at no additional cost to you.

Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group General Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

I hope you can join us at Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro