SG-W:/ Sierra Club Presents: "Sex, Power, and Resources" on Tuesday, June 17

Friends,

Here's a deceptively simple question:  Given the power of natural selection
to weed out behaviors that reduce survival, why do human beings do so many
things that wreck their own environment?  Shouldn't evolution have driven
such destructive behaviors to extinction?

At the Sierra Club's June Public Meeting, University of Michigan Professor
Bobbi Low will explore this question.  Professor Low specializes in
evolutionary biology at the University of Michigan's School of Natural
Resources and Environment.  Her presentation is titled "Sex, Power and
Resources:  How Our Evolutionary Past Haunts Our Ecological Future."

The meeting begins on Tuesday, June 17 at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical
Gardens and is followed by our social hour, during which you can meet others
who share your interests in enjoying and protecting nature.  If you want to
help protect local natural areas by stopping sprawl, we'll have EarthCash
shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  EarthCash
vouchers let you contribute to the Sierra Club when you buy groceries,
books, CDs, and other items -- all at no additional cost to you.

Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group General Meetings are held on the third
Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located
at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23),
beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers
are welcome; no membership is required.

I hope you can join us at Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward
this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro