Re: SG-W:/ greenbelt

As a 28 year resident of the OWS in Ann Arbor, I have seen a tremendous amount of new housing both in the city of AA and in every direction outside the city with no thought to the overall impact on city or countryside.  It's not enough to protect land from development. There is going to be development. The issue is how cities and towns decide how and where that happens. We can't decide to tell people to just go away, because there isn't any "away." We must concentrate building in the cities and towns and leave the outlying land undeveloped. Affordable housing, and I mean really affordable is another important issue that has to be addressed. Ann Arbor could be a leader in affordable housing, but is too busy encouraging yet another restaurant and boutique.
Phyllis Ponvert
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2003 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: SG-W:/ greenbelt

Scott,

I think you are correct about your views of Ann Arborites' sentiments
towards most development.  There are exceptions, like the recent growth in
housing in downtown Ann Arbor.  But for the most part, I think Ann Arborites
are wary of large new developments.

However, I don't agree with your description of the Parks and Greenbelt
proposal.  As I understand it, that proposal says and does nothing to
promote new development inside Ann Arbor.

Perhaps Ann Arborites would agree to higher density development in the city
in exchange for a growth boundary that would place strict limits on
development in the surrounding area -- probably not, but perhaps.  It's a
moot point, in any case, because that's not what's being proposed (and may
not even be possible under Michigan's current legal system).

The premise of the Parks and Greenbelt proposal is that in recognition of
the importance of township land use decisions for the entire region, Ann
Arbor residents would expand the geographic area where their current parks
acquisition millage can be used and allow those funds to be used to acquire
development rights as well as outright title to land.  The proposal would
give the city more flexibility in how it uses its parks acquisition millage
revenues; it would allow the city to spend these funds in those townships
that commit significant funds to land preservation efforts, as well as
within the city limits.

There are three features of this proposal that I find particularly
appealing.  First, it won't increase the tax burden on Ann Arbor residents.
Second, city funds would be used only in those townships that choose to
partner with Ann Arbor, so it offers the prospects of truly voluntary
regional cooperation.  And third, the city should be able to protect more
land at less cost by sharing the costs with townships, using some funds to
protect less-expensive land outside the city limits, and purchasing
development rights rather than the property itself.

  - Mike Sklar