SG-W:/ greenbelt

If the citizens of Ann Arbor pass this proposal, would Ann Arbor more
likely use funds to pay for lands farther out "in the cornfields" where
there is little infrastructure or contiguous to the edge of the city
limits where there is infrastructure? Wouldn't it make more sense to
allow development contiguous to the edge of the city limits? For
example, Ellsworth Rd is paved, has bus service and is already partially
developed. Is more development along Ellsworth, such as the new shopping
center at Stone School Rd, considered sprawl, or is this totally
appropriate?
Michael Sklar's idea that development would be encouraged in townships
that are progrowth is intriguing. It seems to be a ready-made solution
to where development should occur. However, the most pro-growth
townships tend to be further from the edge of Ann Arbor. This would be
"leapfrog" sprawl as opposed to "contiguous" sprawl.
Are there sites in the contiguous townships that are appropriate for
development? Shouldn't these sites be identified? I am not necessarily
pro-development, but I am trying to reconcile Ann Arbor's popularity--it
contains a nationally and internationally recognized university and
medical center, a major campus for the largest pharmaceutical company in
the world, etc, etc. Development is going to occur, where do you want
it, and what do you want it to look like? I would feel much more
comfortable with this proposal if I had some idea of where development
is going to be steered.
Scott Reetz