SG-W:/ Aug. 19 Public Program: "What's Killing Our Ash Trees?" (fwd)

Friends,

Ash trees all over southeastern Michigan are dying due to the Emerald Ash Borer, an insect native to Asia that hitched a ride to our area on a shipping pallet or wooden box.  Many neighborhoods and parks in our area have already seen the impact.  At the Sierra Club's August 19 public program, Michigan State University's Dave Roberts will explain the cause of this mounting environmental catastrophe, how it's likely to unfold over the next few years, and what we can do about it.  His presentation is titled "What's Killing Our Ash Trees?"

The program begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens and is followed by our social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interests in enjoying and protecting nature.  We'll have Sierra Club calendars and EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  EarthCash vouchers let you contribute to the Sierra Club's campaign to control sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items -- all at no additional cost to you.  We're contributing all profits from EarthCash voucher sales to the new Ann Arbor Area Parks and Greenbelt program, to help it become a winner on the ballot this fall.

Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group Public Programs are presented on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.  Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

I hope you can join us at Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

  - Mike Sklar

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro