SG-W:/ Community Forum on Farmland Preservation

Friends,

You're invited to "A Community Forum on Farmland Preservation."  This is a
great chance to learn more about how we can preserve farmland and the
rural character of the Ann Arbor area with a Purchase of Development
Rights (PDR) program.  The Forum will feature:

* Gordon Hayward's presentation on how Peninsula Township on Grand
Traverse Bay has protected over 4000 acres of open space.

* Ann Arbor Mayor John Hieftje and Ann Arbor Township Supervisor Michael
Moran discussing the land preservation proposals on the November ballot.

* Washtenaw farmers will describe their experiences with PDR.

* An expert panel will discuss your questions and comments about sprawl,
land preservation, PDR, and land use in Washtenaw County.

WHEN:   Saturday, September 13
        9 to Noon; welcome coffee and donuts at 8:45
        Please drop in anytime if you can't make the beginning.

WHERE:  Washtenaw Community College
        Student Center Building's Artist Lounge

COST:   Free.  Everyone is welcome.

DIRECTIONS:  WCC is just east of US-23, with entrances on Huron River
Drive and Clark Rd.  The Student Center Building is in the middle of
campus, directly in front of the main entrance on Huron River Drive.
Parking is free.

QUESTIONS: Contact John Allison at johnallison@comcast.net.

Hosted by the Washtenaw County Farm Bureau Land Use Committee and
The Washtenaw County Farmland Conservation Group

Co-Sponsors: Washtenaw Land Trust, Sierra Club, Ecology Center,
Huron River Watershed Council, Southeastern Michigan Land Conservancy

I hope you can attend this thought-provoking event that will shine new
light on how we can deal with our community's most pressing issue.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group