SG-W:/ "Thinking Globally, Acting Locally: Getting Involved With YourLocal Sierra Club Group" - Tuesday, 9/16

Friends,

This Tuesday, the Sierra Club's Huron Valley Group invites you to get to
know the wide range of Sierra Club activities at the national, state, and
- especially - the local levels.  Our September public program is titled
"Thinking Globally, Acting Locally:  Getting Involved With Your Local
Sierra Club Group" and it's designed to let you explore the incredible
variety of Club activities.  The primary focus will be on local
activities, which are 100% volunteer led. These activities include:

  - Our Outings Program, which sponsors hikes, canoe trips, bike tours,
and service projects such as trail-building and park maintenance in the
best natural spots in the local area and throughout the state.

  - The Inner City Outings program, in which local Sierra Club members
organize opportunities for underprivileged children to explore nature.

  - A variety of conservation campaigns aimed at protecting wildlife,
natural areas, open space, and the quality of our air and water.  This
fall, our primary focus is on the Ann Arbor Area Parks and Greenbelt
Proposal and the Land Preservation Proposal in Ann Arbor Township.

  - Our Political Team, which works to elect pro-environment candidates to
office at the national, state, and local levels.

The event begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthei Botanical Gardens, where you
can meet others who share your interests in enjoying, and protecting
nature.  Refreshments will be available, If you want to help support this
autumn's Parks & Greenbelt election campaigns at no cost to you, we'll
have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for sale by cash or check.
These vouchers let you contribute to the campaigns while buying groceries,
books, CDs, and other merchandise at the stores where you already shop.

The Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group offers a public program on the third
Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens, located
at 1800 N. Dixboro Road between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23),
beginning at 7:30 pm.  These programs are free and open to the public.
Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

I hope you can join us for Tuesday's program.  Please feel free to
forward this message to others who might be interested.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro