Re: SG-W:/ Re: Proposal B

Are these common sentiments around town about Proposal
B? If so, it sounds like tough times come election
day. It amazes me that
people can't see that by voting against Proposal B,
they'll be endorsing the status quo. Does anyone think
that if Proposal B is defeated
that the Homebuilders won't crow "See, people want
this kind of development!" Endorsing the status quo
would be a disaster for the
Ann Arbor area and relegate it to become West Canton.

I can understand where some of the concerns expressed
in the questions come from. But can't people see that
despite everything the
City has done within its boundaries to counter sprawl
that it hasn't stopped sprawl outside the City? What
makes them think anything
about that is going to change? What makes them think
that the homebuilders are going to do anything
different? They aren't going to
build more affordable homes, unless it's massive
mobile home parks. They aren't going to protect
significant green spaces. They aren't
going to protect farmland. Not all developers are bad
but under the current system, there's not enough
incentive for them to do any of
those things.

Places like Ann Arbor are all too unique and often
fragile creations in our society. Because they have so
many qualities that people
desire, they naturally attract people who want to live
and work there. And as much as possible, we should try
to accomodate those
needs. But at some point, you have to draw a line lest
you destroy the very qualities that make these places
such great places to live.
You could create lots of additional housing in the
City if you plowed over all of the parkland. But who
would want that scenario? You
could have lots of high-density, high-rise development
downtown if you are willing to sacrifice the scale and
history of the community.
But is that your vision for the city? Ultimately, you
have to realize that Ann Arbor, despite the best of
intentions, can't solve all of the
growth and development problems of southeast Michigan.
You manage as much growth as is reasonable and then
rightlfully point out
that some other location or community has to be
established to accomodate what exceeds the City's
capacity to support.

One last point, Ann Arbor is an expensive place to
live because its a desirable place to live. You can
live in plenty of places in
Michigan for much less than what it costs to live in
Ann Arbor. But they don't have the quality of life
that Ann Arbor provides. Novi
has the same challenges in terms of the cost of
housing although without nearly as many amenities as
Ann Arbor. I've seen examples of
"affordable housing" built in the City which were done
at higher densities to provide lower costs. Guess what
happened? The first time
those "affordable" houses were resold, their prices
skyrocketed to meet the demands of the market. Now
these areas have high
density, lots of traffic and no affordable housing.
Unless the City or Townships are able and willing to
commit to some scheme that
provides for ongoing controls on the costs of
affordable housing, they'll only be affordable once.
Then you'll have all of the negatives of
these kinds of developments in terms of density and
impact with none of the benefits. The idea that you
can build your way out of
sprawl is the mantra of the developers. It's a bogus
claim and yet, I see that even among
environmentalists, it's taking hold.

Andrew Mutch
Novi