Re: SG-W:/ Proposal B

Catherine,

I formed my opinion of Dickens Woods based on my experiences on Planning
Commission. I am sad to say that if the project that was proposed for that
area had been single family detached housing, the neighbors probably
wouldn't have had as much of an issue. But because it was proposed to be
more affordable attached condominiums, many people came out against it,
some going so far as saying that they didn't want "people like that"
living near them. I like the woods - I used to live quite close to them -
but I must question the motivation of the group when I saw that reaction.
All that said, I'm sure that the Parks Advisory Committee goes through a
good process to make their decisions.

As far as I know, that property is probably at the headwaters of Allens
Creek, but this has not been confirmed. Does anyone know this for certain?

And I don't expect one single proposal to fix all the ills that Ann Arbor
faces. What I had hoped for was a more cohesive, comprehensive plan that
could generate many ballot proposals. I wanted the right means to reach
this end, not a single ballot generated with a few people. Of course,
that's just my opinion, and what I want in my ideal world. :)

-Kristen

        - Mahatma Gandhi