Re: SG-W:/ Proposal B

Kristen,

Like you, I've been awfully darn skeptical of the plan, and of what
seems like the lack of a comprehensive plan behind it--or even the
recognition that this is only one part of such a comprehensive plan.
 The dilemma is that, on the one hand, we pass this proposal and then
people become complacent and say, "Well, we've stopped sprawl!  Nothing
more we need to do!" and the rest of a more comprehensive plan never
takes shape.  On the other hand, there are times when the stars align
and the chance to jump on somethign presents itself--getting the parks
tax re-started after it has ended will be much harder than extending it
while it is still in effect--and we have to take what we're given the
opportunity to take and then work on the rest.

I've decided that the greenbelt proposal falls into the latter category.
 Mostly, this decision is based on the number of people I've seen who,
like you and I, say, "But this is only a small part of any real
solution!"  The fact that this awareness exists, and that these
objections are being voiced, assures me that the greenbelt won't be
treated as the alpha-and-omega of Ann Arbor regional planning.  I'm
willing to take what is offered and then keep on reaching for the rest.

The Dicken Woods area detached housing vs. condominiums issue falls into
"the rest".  So does last year's accessory apartment/"granny flat"
issue.  So do all of the other things that make me want to slap some Ann
Arborites for their snobbish nimbyism. (and, if you're on a smart growth
list, then either you know that you're not one of the Ann Arborites I'm
talking about and so won't take offense at that characterization, or
else you're so snobbish that you don't realize you're one of the Ann
Arborites I'm talking about and therefore I intend to offend. :) )

Our duty at this point, I feel, is to support the greenbelt proposal and
then keep clamoring for the "more cohesive, comprehensive plan that
could generate many ballot proposals"--or at least for the other ballot
proposals individually.  Getting the greenbelt passed should be treated
as a way to build momentum, rather than as something that will kill
momentum.