SG-W:/ Proposal B & Dicken Woods

Dear Kristen (and interested others):

I'm sorry to hear that you formed your opinion of
Dicken Woods (DW) based on your Planning Commission
experiences, because there is so much more to DW,
and story of how and why it was preserved.  I'm also
sorry to see the DW story has been reported in such
a negatively biased fashion in the Ann Arbor News.
Many readers will have a very inaccurate understanding
of what transpired, how, and why.

For openness, I should report that I am one of two
vice-presidents of Friends of Dicken Woods (FoDW).
I can report that FoDW put an enormous amount of work
into learning about the city's master plan, the Allen's
and Malletts creeksheds and their respective management
plans, the city park system master plan (PROS plan),
and most importantly, about the land in DW itself and
how it relates to these other issues.  We have made
very strong arguments showing why preserving DW as
open space is the most appropriate outcome for that land.  FoDW welcomes

discussion of the issues we've raised, but unfortunately
so far most "opponents" of DW have focused only on
inaccurate statements that FoDW is nothing more
than a NIMBY movement.  If you believe it is possible
that some particular properties would be better used
as open space than developed, then you owe it to
yourself to look at the real story of DW, and not
just assume it was a NIMBY effort. Much more about DW is
available at http://dickenwoods.org.  That website
focuses on 1) why the original Crosswinds Communities
proposed development was inappropriate on DW, and
2) why the best land use of DW is as open space.

In fairness to Kristen, I vaguely recall *one* speaker at
one of the Planning Commission meetings say something
along the lines of what Kristen reports below.  However,
I assure you that was not representative of the larger
neighborhood's views.  In fact, it was a totally isolated
view of one person.  The comments made by neighbors at
those Planning Commission meetings are available for
review from the Planning Dept. at
http://www.ci.ann-arbor.mi.us/Planning/minutes/02-04-2003.pdf
and
http://www.ci.ann-arbor.mi.us/Planning/minutes/11-19-2002.pdf

FoDW has grown to include over 260 members, but was
not in existence when the individual neighbors addressed
the Planning Commission back in February 2003 and
November 2002.  Please don't let the "one bad apple"
sour your opinion of what FoDW is all about.  In fact,
the preservation of DW has been a wonderful example of
how our parks can have a great and positive impact on the
*social* quality of life.  The FoDW experience has been
a great example of creating social capital.  The Dicken
neighborhood has been revitalized by this experience, and
that is a healthy outcome for the city.  Many new civic
relationships have been born of this experience, and
new bonds between the neighborhood and the school have
also been created.

For those who are interested in considering why
preserving Dicken Woods was appropriate, I encourage
you to read the independent environmental analysis
(conducted by a highly respected local consultant) at:
http://dickenwoods.org/issues/enviro-analysis.shtml

and the FoDW analysis of how DW fits into the PROS Plan at:
http://dickenwoods.org/savingdw/plan/action-plan-appendix-d.pdf

Please also note that the preservation of DW was supported
by the Huron River Watershed Council, the Allen's Creek
Watershed Management Group, the Sierra Club Huron Valley
Group, the Superintendent of Ann Arbor Schools, the past
and current Principals of Dicken Elementary (DW abuts
Dicken Elementary, and that is another significant reason
for preserving the woods as FoDW will work with the school
to integrate the woods into the environmental curriculum and
wider school experience), and state Representative Chris Kolb.

Thank you for considering these points.

-Tom Ivacko
 741-9484 (h)
 647-4164 (w)