Re: SG-W:/ Proposal B

Kristen and others,

I confess I got somewhat huffy over the Dickens Woods at the end of a long day.  It has
been frustrating watching that purchase by PAC get portrayed so simplistically and
negatively in the News.  I was responding in that spirit and was unaware of the Planning
Commission dealings with the Dickens housing project.

Catherine

"Kristen A. Gibbs" wrote:

> Bill and others,
>
> After doing more reading on the issue (thank you all for the links!) I'm
> coming around to supporting it. On a personal level, this proposal will
> only cost me $50 a year, and I have to think that realistically, even if
> only 20 acres of land are saved, it is worth it. I mean, I'd *love* to
> have more than that saved, and for the money to be spent wisely, and with
> matching funds from the townships and all that - but it comes down to the
> fact that even one drop in the bucket is better than nothing at all.
>
> I still hope for a more comprehensive and thorough plan to slow sprawl or
> change the form of growth entirely. I wish this was the first of many
> proposals that came out of such a comprehensive plan. But it isn't - it is
> one shot at a huge problem, and no one seems where we go from here. I
> really hope that a success with this ballot proposal will propel us to
> tackle even more issues like it! There is so much we can do once we get
> going.
>
> Bill, I realize that the Mayor must have met with Planning Commission
> after my term was over. But I went through the minutes, and he never
> appeared at any recorded meeting, which means he must have been at the
> working session on August 12th. Is that correct? If the Mayor was there,
> my sincerest apologies are due to him, because that is indeed a public
> meeting. That said, I'm still a little disappointed by the lack of public
> involvement, because I know that a working session is hardly the place
> where public input can really be taken into account. Not many people can
> fit into that room! :) And it is probably just me, but I wish there had
> been a month or two more to talk about the proposal, even if that meant
> that the homebuilders could gather more money during that time. It's a
> risk I'm willing to take in order to get more buy-in from the population
> at large.
>
> It was a pleasure to work with you as well, Bill, even if we didn't always
> see eye to eye. I learned a lot being on the Commission, and have been
> trying to figure out how else I can help the City deal with growth better
> through volunteering. Indeed, I have thought about applying for the
> Greenbelt Advisory Committee once Proposal B passes! We will see when that
> time comes.
>
> On an aside... why do we always talk about building more housing downtown
> - where land is extremely expensive - instead of better and more housing
> on the periphery of the city, where land is at least a little less
> expensive? It's an odd thing I just noticed... I'm all for more housing
> downtown, but I'm also for more (hopefully better designed) housing
> throughout the city too.
>
> Anyway, I hadn't intended to insult anyone about Dickens Woods, nor get
> very far into the background of that particular case. I gave my opinion,
> which admittedly was formed through just a couple interactions with the
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Riseng;Catherine
tel;fax:734-936-2195
tel;work:734-647-2022
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:School of Natural Resources and Environment;University of Michigan
version:2.1
email;internet:criseng@umich.edu
title:Research Associate II
adr;quoted-printable:;;430 E. University=0D=0A;Ann Arbor;MI;48109;
fn:Catherine Riseng
end:vcard