SG-W:/ LUNAR ECLIPSE CAMPFIRE

To help celebrate the recent land preservation victories, we have arranged to
have a very special feature at this Saturday's Full Moon Campfire at the
LeFurge Woods Nature Preserve--a total lunar eclipse!

This will be our last campfire of the year, so it is fitting that we will be
going out in style.  Come and enjoy the warmth of the campfire on this cool
(or cold) fall evening.  Since it will begin early, bring hot dogs to roast over
the fire, or bring other campfire food and refreshments.  Gates will open at
approximately 5 p.m., and the ceremonial lighting of the fire will be at about
6 p.m.

You can also take a walk around the wetland or explore the fields and woods
at LeFurge.  Bring lawn chairs or blankets, family and friends--especially
children.  As always, the event is free and open to the public.  Membership is not
required.  Free camping is optional.  No pets, please.

FOR A MAP AND DIRECTIONS, go to www.mapquest.com and use the address 2252 N.
Prospect, Ypsilanti, MI  48198.  The main entrance to LeFurge Woods is on the
east side of Prospect Road in Superior Township, exactly 1/2 mile north of
Geddes Road (2 1/2 miles south of Ford Road).  Follow the small driveway back to
the campsite.

Prior to the campfire, we will host our Annual Program at the U of M-Dearborn
Environmental Interpretive Center.  I have included the program schedule
below.  It will make for a long, but enjoyable, day if you choose to attend both
events.

Hope to see you Saturday!

Jack Smiley
Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy
www.landconservancy.com
You are cordially invited to attend the Annual Program of the Southeast
Michigan Land Conservancy.  It is free and open to the public.

WHEN:   Saturday, November 8, 2003
            Nature Walk at Noon; Program at 1:15 p.m.

WHERE:      U of M-Dearborn Environmental Interpretive Center
            4901 Evergreen Road, Dearborn MI 48128
            (free parking in the parking structure)
                The Environmental Interpretive Center is in the northwest
                corner of the campus.  For a campus map,  go to
                http://www.umd.umich.edu/about/campusmap.html

SCHEDULE:
12 Noon - Nature Walk led by Rick Simek.  Tour the Rouge River floodplain and
            the grounds of the Henry Ford Estate.

1:15 p.m. - Registration for Program; Refreshments
            We will also have a few Silent Auction items to bid on.

Program:
  Short Update on the Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy

  The Greater Sibley Prairie Complex - Michigan's most endangered habitat
        - Mary LaFrance, Sierra Club, SE Michigan Group
The Sibley Prairie, a lakeplain prairie in Brownstown Township, is among the
most endangered habitats in the Great Lakes basin.  It is the largest known
remaining lakeplain prairie ecosystem in Michigan, and it is home to at least 14
rare, threatened, and endangered species.  Hear about threats from
development--and fleeting opportunities to protect this unique, irreplaceable, resource.

  Restoration and Conservation of Lake Sturgeon in the Detroit River
        - Bruce Manny, U.S. Geological Survey - Great Lakes Science Center
The Detroit River has been the focus of much attention due to its recent
designation as an American Heritage River and with the creation of the Detroit
River International Wildlife Refuge.  Of other noteworthy interest is the recent
research about the distribution, movements, and habitat use of lake sturgeon
in the Detroit River.  This prehistoric-looking fish was nearly extirpated from
the Great Lakes by overfishing, pollution, and habitat loss.  Today, lake
sturgeon populations are estimated to be at less than 1% of their former
abundance and, in Michigan, lake sturgeon are listed as a threatened species.  Are
lake sturgeon making a comeback in the Detroit River?  Come and hear the
firsthand results of the some of the most recent research.

This should be an interesting program.  Please plan to attend.  Bring some
friends--or just plan to make new ones!

==============================================================smartgrowth-washtenaw:  Internet List and Forum for issues relating to