---------------- Begin Forwarded Message ----------------
Date:        11/12  6:05 PM
From:        Grist Magazine, grist@gristmagazine.com
To:          daily grist, daily-grist@yahoogroups.com

DAILY GRIST
Environmental news from GRIST MAGAZINE
<http://www.gristmagazine.com>

1.
BEYOND THE PALE GREEN
Small-Scale Farmers Are Going "Beyond Organic" to Push Local Foods

Once the perceived purview of hippies and wackos, organic food has
become so mainstream that you can purchase Safeway-brand organic
frozen peas.  But is buying organic enough?  That oh-so-healthy
pesticide-free mango you bought in Minneapolis sure as heck didn't
grow in your neighbor's back 40; in fact, the average food product in
the United States travels 1,500 to 2,500 miles from farm to table.
That makes for a lot of burned fossil fuels -- and food that's not
fresh.  To counteract this trend, a loose network of farmers,
consumers, and advocacy groups is trying to push agriculture one step
closer to sustainability by urging consumers to go "beyond organic."
Michelle Nijhuis documents the movement, only on the Grist Magazine
website.

only in Grist:  Beyond the pale green -- by Michelle Nijhuis in Main Dish
<http://www.gristmagazine.com/maindish/nijhuis111203.asp?source=daily>

[snip]

DAILY GRIST is published by GRIST MAGAZINE, an online source for
environmental news and commentary.  Gloom and doom with a sense of
humor:  <http://www.gristmagazine.com>.

To subscribe to DAILY GRIST, click here
<http://www.gristmagazine.com/signup/subgrist.asp?source=daily> or send
a blank email message to <daily-grist-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>.

Daily too much for you?  Try WEEKLY GRIST by clicking here
<http://www.gristmagazine.com/signup/subgrist.asp?source=daily> or
sending a blank email message to <weekly-grist-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>.

To unsubscribe, click here
<http://www.gristmagazine.com/signup/ungrist.asp?source=daily> or send a

Less time-consuming than hugging a tree.  Click here to make a
tax-deductible donation to support Grist, an independent nonprofit
organization:
<http://www.gristmagazine.com/about/support.asp?source=daily>.