SG-W:/ WEDNESDAY, 11/19: Author Pam Flowers presents "Alone Across the Arctic: One Woman's Epic Journey by Dog Team"

Friends,

Very few people have crossed Alaska by dogsled.  Even fewer have done it solo.  And until just a few years ago, no woman had ever accomplished the task.  On Wednesday, November 19, you can hear Alaskan author and adventurer Pam Flowers' amazing story of travelling "Alone Across the Arctic:  One Woman's Epic Journey by Dog Team".  The event is jointly sponsored by the Sierra Club's Huron Valley Group and the Washtenaw Audubon Society.

Please note that we've changed the usual Sierra Club monthly meeting date in November - we're meeting this month on the third WEDNESDAY, *not* on the customary third Tuesday.

The program begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens and is followed by a social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interests in enjoying and protecting nature.  It's time to shop for holiday gifts, and we'll have Sierra Club calendars and EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  EarthCash vouchers let you contribute to our ongoing efforts to control sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items at the stores where you already shop -- all at no additional cost to you.  The funds raised from sales of EarthCash vouchers enabled Sierra Club to  contribute $42,000 -- by far the largest contribution -- to this fall's successful campaign to pass Proposal B, the boldest anti-sprawl initiative in Michigan.

The Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group offers a montly public program, normally on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens (located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Programs are free and open to the public.  Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

We hope you can join us for Wednesday's joint program with the Washtenaw Audubon Society.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/