Re: SG-W:/ Where do we go from here?

Richard,

About the accessory dwelling unit proposal that had a brief life in the
planning process: first off, it didn't pass the Planning Commission. The
motion failed 5 to 4. Second, it was a moot point for the Commission to
have voted on the proposal because City Council had voted (unanimously, if
I remember right) to stop all work on the ADU proposal because of the
political heat it generated. Third, *all* of the Commissioners who voted
for the proposal are now gone, and in my opinion the chance of the same
ADU proposal making it through the current Commision is very, very slim.
(source for minutes:
http://www.ci.ann-arbor.mi.us/Planning/minutes/02-05-2002.pdf)

I think that the basic idea of ADUs is valuable, good for our City, and
is long-overdue to be applied here. I do not know how this could be done
considering the knee-jerk negative reactions that people have against it
which results in political pressure to have Council members vote against
it. We need to have some sort of activist organization that can educate
neighborhood groups on the proposal and why it is a good thing, and that
doesn't seem to exist right now in Ann Arbor.

-Kristen Gibbs Schleick

        - Mahatma Gandhi

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Richard Murphy wrote:

<snip>

> Meanwhile, I think the accessory-apt idea is a phenomenal one, and
> definitely worthy of reconsideration.  The Planning Commission did
> recommend approval the first time around, so there's only one layer of
> resistance to work on.  Your other suggestions might take a little more
> work, but I do happen to know that at least one of the students that
> the Mayor has nominated to work on the Cool Cities Commission feels
> strongly that density, mixed-use, and walkability are huge creators of
> coolness--so these proposals can be worked on from both the
> conservation angle and the coolness angle.

</snip>