SG-W:/ Tuesday, 1/20: "Helping Mother Nature: Restoring Ann Arbor's Natural Areas" (fwd)

Friends,

Deforestation.  Invasive species.  Toxic waste.  Fire suppression.  Given all the ways we do damage to the environment, it's no longer enough to just 'protect' nature as it is now.  Increasingly, our challenge is to restore natural ecosystems to what they once were.

On Tuesday, January 20, you can learn about Ann Arbor's pioneering efforts to restore natural ecosystems in an urbanized setting.  David Borneman, Ann Arbor's Manager of Natural Area Preservation, will present a slideshow titled "Helping Mother Nature:  Restoring Ann Arbor's Natural Areas".

The event begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens.  It's followed by a social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interests in enjoying and protecting
nature.  We'll have a few 2004 Sierra Club calendars available for purchase by cash or check, along with note cards and EarthCash shopping vouchers.  EarthCash vouchers let you help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items at the stores where you already shop -- all at no additional cost to you.  This program enabled us to contribute $42,000 -- by far the largest contribution -- to this fall's successful campaign to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's meeting.  And please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group

Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group Monthly Meetings are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/