SG-W:/ "Wildlife of the Everglades" on WEDNESDAY, 3/17

Friends,

What better way to escape Michigan's winter chill than to visit Florida.  On *Wednesday,* March 17, Julia Gordon of Evergreen Images will present a slideshow titled "Wildlife of the Everglades:  A Visual Tour of 'The River of Grass.'"

Over the last seven years, Julia has spent several weeks at a time photographing the Everglades region. Her presentation will focus primarily on the birds of South Florida, with images of reptiles and mammals included for good measure. Prepare to be amazed by the natural splendor often overlooked by the casual visitor to the Everglades region!

This free event is jointly sponsored by the local Sierra Club and Audubon Society groups and is open to the public.  Note that it takes place on Wednesday rather than our usual Tuesday slot, beginning at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens (directions below).  It's followed by a social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interests in
enjoying and protecting nature.

As always, we'll have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  EarthCash vouchers let you help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items at the stores where you already shop -- all at no additional cost to you.  This program enabled us to contribute $42,000 to last fall's successful campaign to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative and is central to our plans to build on that success.

I hope you can attend this special joint event with the Washtenaw Audubon Society.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group

Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group Monthly Meetings are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/