Re: SG-W:/ Ann Arbor Cool Cities Follow-up

Thanks for the background, Andrew, and also to Murph for your feedback.

My primary concern is that "cool city" goals will override "sustainable
community" goals. They're not nearly the same thing. Getting wrapped up
in the governor's or whomever's framework seems unnecessarily limiting
(as the promo piece demonstrated, I think), to say the least.

Nor does "quality of life" equate with sustainability. Moving toward
sustainability relies largely on the dissemination of information. And
then not about what's currently available in our community, but much
moreso about how our community *must* change and how we'd like to go
about that change. This isn't quite an "if you build it, they will come"
scenario. I think we have to build it. Then, whether they come (or stay)
or not is up to them. Those of us already committed to the community
(home and business owners) deserve the support and leadership of our
city and county governments and a focus on the necessary over the
preferable.

Keeping young, creative people here to help plan for and participate in
that change may be helpful, but not if it results in a delay in that
change due to focusing on "cool cities" priorities first or because the
"cool cities" changes result in a less-sustainable starting point.

Given that we already have a high relative quality of life (most of us,
that is), it will be interesting to see what the task force determines
it is that we're currently doing "wrong" with regard to losing younger
residents.

Has a study been done for SE Michigan or the entire state to determine
where they're going and why? I looked at the task force blog page and
some of the links, but couldn't find much info.

Steve