SG-W:/ Sprawl/Smart Growth Forum at U-M Tuesday

SPRAWLED OUT: The Fight to Stop Sprawl in Michigan and Ann Arbor

                         Mayor John Hieftje
                  City Council Member Jean Carlberg
       History Professor Matt Lassiter    Law Professor Rick Hills
  Conan Smith, Michigan Environmental Council & the Cool Cities Task Force

--->Tuesday, March 30
--->7:30 PM
--->Michigan Union Ballroom

<----Come hear what is being done to fight urban sprawl statewide and
locally
from the people making it happen.  And then tell them what YOU think.---->

learn<--
question<--
get involved<--

     ---->Brought to you by Students for PIRGIM, the Environmental Issues
Commission (MSA), and the Urban Issues Collaborative.<----

MORE ABOUT SPRAWL IN MI AND A2...
While out of control development is paving over some of our most valued
natural
places, transforming farmland into developments and leaving behind a legacy
of
air and water pollution, many of our cities are in decline.  We have an
opportunity to pass policies that would
stop sprawl, promote smart growth alternatives and tackle social problems.

At the state level, a bipartisan task force helped to develop tools that
will
curb sprawl. Now it's up to Governor Granholm and the state legislature to
turn
these recommendations into reality.

At the local level, questions on whether Ann Arbor should develop and if
so, how
and where, still loom large.  Mayor Hieftje and City Council will hear
policy
recommendations from the Cool Cities Task Force on how Ann Arbor can attract
and retain 20-34 year-olds, as well as multiple plans for development.

------
Matt Lassiter
Assistant Professor
History Department