SG-W:/ Tuesday, April 20: "From Back Country to Back Yard: How to Landscape With Michigan Native Plants"

Friends,

With spring having finally arrived, the lawn & garden season is upon us.  These days, that means more than turf grass and cultivated flower beds.  Many of us have begun using native plants in our yards.  On Tuesday, April 20, David Mindell will present a slideshow titled "From Back Country to Back Yard:  How to Landscape With Michigan Native Plants."

David Mindell graduated from the University of Michigan's School of Natural Resources and Environment, and he subsequently founded PlantWise Native Landscapes to help property owners employ native plants and landscaping approaches to their land.

This free event is open to the public and begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens (directions below).  It's followed by a social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interest in nature.

We'll have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  Help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items at the stores where
you already shop -- at no additional cost to you.  This program enabled us to contribute $42,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative; your participation in it will help us take the next step in stopping sprawl.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's event.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group

Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group Monthly Meetings are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/